Thursday 13 May 2010

The Magic Sponge qualifies for the group stages

http://www.hairyplugmonster.com/

I know I should write more, but there always seems very little to say.  Most of this week has been spent pushing "Do it Again (in 2010) out over the internet and we have had some fantastic response.  In a fit of delusion, I even sent a copy to Max Clifford (yes the) who represents Simon Cowell (yes the) in the hope that they would jump at the chance to make a quick buck.  However I got a rather polite letter back from his PA explaining that they are already involved with another World Cup Song and couldn't take on the project.  So they have had their chance, I suppose I am  going to have to do it on my own. 

All week I have been eagerly awaiting the XFM breakfast show to listen to what the competition have to offer, and unfortunately the standard is pretty high - so it is not going to be the cakewalk that I anticipated.. 

Today I got the call from Jim Salveson who is the producer for the morning show asking me if I wanted to be interviewed for tomorrows show .....er......hell yeh.  So it looks like the song has at least qualified for the group stages.  Paul didn't seem as enthusiastic when I told him that we might even win, which would mean writing another set to perform for the duration that England are in the World Cup.

Speaking of sets, there is a strong chance that I may be doing a gig with "Bez" from the Happy Mondays on July 23rd at Jabez Clegg's in Manchester.  Although as the people organising the gig have yet to come through with anything tangible for me I choose to remain ambivalent for the time being.  My own Static Island set is almost ready with the music complete and just the need to sit down and focus on writing some lyrics.

The HPM sales remain slow but I had an enquiry this week to conduct a workshop for pupils at Cheadle Primary School, which would be a bit different from just hosting a reading, as there would be a need to produce something there and then for and with the children.  Unlike a lot of writers I sometimes find it hard to spontaneously produce anything of any merit, which is why I am behind on my goal of one story a month.

 Finally, Barclays Bank are holding a competition to find the best regional start up business, which we entered yesterday.  We basically needed to have a business plan in place with targets and aims.... which we have - together with products all ready to bring to market. What we don't have is the finance to make this happen, but with a 50k first prize being up for grabs.........keeeer - ching!!!!

As part of our entry we needed to make a two minute video for the judges, which in turn meant that I needed to create an original soundtrack to go with it.   Imagine my surprise when I "nailed " in 2 hours, sometimes everything just falls into place.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRkhgqVOFI

No comments:

Post a Comment