Saturday 5 June 2010

Me and the Children's Laureate

I got a rare glimpse of  a superstar this week as Stockport art gallery played host to Anthony Browne - the Children's Laureate.  I was quite excited at the prospect of meeting one of the leading figures in young children's literature, and even more so with the possibility of thrusting one of my books at him. 

It was quite an exciting evening, especially as the girls got really involved, asking questions and taking part in the "shape game" ( the game where somebody draws a shape, then another person tries to turn it into a picture)... At one point Maya interrupted Anthony in mid flow to say.

" Actually, my daddy is a writer as well, and he's written The Hairy Plug Monster, Golden Arm and Zombelina",

And then she turned round to me with a big smile as if to say " there you go dad. your in there now."

At the end of the night, I grabbed an opportunity to speak not only to Anthony and give him a book, but also his publicist and a few of the officials from the library service.  While I was hob-nobbing with the "hoy-poloy" Arisha and Maya were getting there photo's taken for the council...All in all a good PR exercise for the Marsh's

1 comment: