The Hairy Plug Monster's Chili and Walnut Treacle Toffee
(Caution this recipe will most definitely contain nuts - if you put them in)
50g Crushed Walnuts
1/4 Fresh medium sized red chili finely chopped ( - please bear in mind you are making toffee and not a Vindaloo)
450g Soft Brown Sugar
225g Black Treacle
110g Unsalted Butter
2 tbsp Water
1 tbsp White Vinegar
- Place half of the butter into a heavy bottomed saucepan together with the chopped chili and crushed walnuts and warm for a few minutes on a low heat.
- Then add the rest of the butter, water and vinegar and heat gently until the butter has melted.
- Add the sugar and black treacle, allow to fully dissolve, this takes about 20 minutes.
- Boil the mixture to a temperature of 138°C (Not having a thermometer I take my best guess at the temperature, making sure I don't burn it)
- Remove from the heat, allow the bubbles to settle.
- Pour the mixture into a well oiled 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tin.
- When the mixture has cooled a little mark the surface into squares with a knife.
- When the toffee has cooled break it up into squares, wrap in cellophane and store in an airtight container.