Wednesday 17 March 2010

The Hairy Plug Monster learns Telesales.

Following my brief flirtation over the previous week and at Blackpool - the next two days were spent trying to convince independent booksellers to at least give me their email addresses so I could send them an information fact sheet.

" Hello my name is Leighroy Marsh and I am a children's author based in Stockport, (quick breath - but no pause)..I have just published my first book which has been compared with The Gruffalo and the Cat in the Hat and I wondered whether I could send you a quick email with more details on it"

Thankfully the majority of the booksellers, were fairly receptive to my cheeky approach, although I was surprised to find a few booksellers with a fairly elitist attitude,

" I haven't heard of it, so it cant be that good", ....hmmm

Unfortunately there is nothing more you can say to people like this, especially if they don't want to pass over their email address.

After initially exhausting the first 200 shops on my google search for booksellers in England, I returned to my database of Waterstones booksellers and have started to patiently and alphabetically collate telephone numbers and addresses, and again ring them up.

Having my book in 9 of their stores has helped and with the offer of SOR from Gardners, it should be a bit of a no brainer for the managers.

Time will tell.
http://www.blogger.com/www.hairyplugmonster.com


Anyway after drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment